Alexandra,  Princess   of   Wales's   Own
The War Diary of 2364 Cpl Joseph Parker Howe. M.M. Page 10.

Joe was back with the 4th Battalion by May 1916, but for some reason stopped making entries in his Diary.
On the 12th June 1916 he sent two embroidered cards back home:-
[Army Veterinary Corps and Royal Engineers.
Some notes about how these embroidered cards became popular with British soldiers and a card showing the Yorkshire Regiment badge is on
this Page.

Joe Howe in Hospital Uniform.

On the 14th June he was again wounded by a shell, suffering shock and injuries to his legs.
The next entry in his Diary is the beginning of a letter he wrote to "Fred", who is thought to be his future brother in law.
Tuesday, 20th June.
Dear Fred,
Just a line to let you know where I am at present. I am going fairly well, but haven't yet been on my legs, since leaving Dressing Station, but no bones are broken, only one place below Left knee to show I'd been hit at all. But I've suffered some pains in it, I can tell you, for both ankle and knee thigh are swollen. I don't know how long I may be here, but will try and let you know, so if you have any letters etc you can post on to this address.....

The final entry reads -
July 2nd. Came from Boulogne by Hospital ship, "Cambria". To Dover.
Corpl J.P.Howe. Shell shock. Knocked out by shell. Contusioned Left leg, 14th June 1916. Kemmel trenches. Glory Hole. 30 yards off Huns.
Arrived at Dover 4.30 p.m.

Joe Howe's Medal Card.

Nothing is known of his Hospital treatment in the UK, but when he left he must have had a reduced capacity in his leg that made him unfit for service in an Infantry Battalion and he was transferred to the Labour Corps with Army number 496504.
Where he served for the remainder of the War has never been discovered and he was discharged on the 25th October 1918 and awarded the Silver War Badge.
His condition prevented him continuing in his old trade and he became a cobbler and shoe repairer. On December 28th, 1921 he married Mary Anne Wharton.
They lived in Barton, N Yorks and had two sons and a daughter.
His Christian faith stayed with him, despite the horrors of the War, and he became a trustee and a steward of his local Chapel, a post that he held for the rest of his life.
During the Second World War he served as a Special Constable and received a medal for that.
In 1942 he closed his shoe repair shop and went to work as a Warehouse man in Richmond, N Yorks, where he remained until 1945.
He then bought a General Dealers shop in Barton and when he finally retired had a bungalow built next door. He died, aged 69, in 1954.

Joe Howe's Discharge Certificate.

Page 1.
Page 2.
Page 3.
Page 4.
Page 5.
Page 6.
Page 7.
Page 8.
Page 9.
Page 10.
Go Back to Contents.